Tuna and Chickpea Salad
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 12-ounce can tuna packed in oil, drained and broken into chunks
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Crackers of choice
In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Add chickpeas, green onions, celery and parsley. Stir to combine.
Fold in tuna. Top with cheese and additional parsley and pepper.
Serve over a bed of lettuce with crackers.
Veggie Hummus Wraps
- 1 spinach-flavored wrap or tortilla
- 1/3 cup hummus
- 2 slices cucumber, sliced lengthwise
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Sliced tomatoes
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- Fresh alfalfa sprouts
- Basil leaves
Spread hummus on the bottom one-third of the wrap, about 1/2 inch from the bottom edge. Spread out to the side edges.
Layer the cucumber, spinach, tomato, avocado, sprouts and basil.
Fold the wrap tightly, as you would a burrito. Tuck in all of the veggies with the first roll, then roll firmly to the end. Cut in half before eating.
Plant-Powered Chopped Salad With Basil Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium-large zucchini, grated
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 head romaine, washed and chopped
- 5 ounces baby arugula, chopped
- 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 14-ounce can hearts of palm, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- Raw shelled sunflower seeds, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar. Shake well.
To make the salad, add the zucchini, cucumbers, romaine, arugula, chickpeas, artichokes, hearts of palm, carrots, tomatoes and sunflower seeds to a large serving bowl. Pour as much of the dressing as desired over top. Toss to coat. Generously season with black pepper and sea salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
Salmon Pita Pockets
- 1 can salmon
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons pimentos
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Generous pinch of salt
- Generous pinch of black pepper
- 2 whole-wheat pita pockets
Garnishes: lettuce, spinach, pickle, tomato, sprouts
Mix salmon with remaining ingredients until well combined. Heat pitas in the microwave under a wet paper towel for 15 to 20 seconds. Fill pitas with salmon mixture and add garnishes as desired.
Cobb Salad Sub
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey, or substitute deli meat
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
- 1-pound loaf French bread
- 2 cups chopped bibb lettuce leaves
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
To make dressing, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt in a small bowl.
In a medium bowl, combine chicken, avocado, tomatoes and bacon. Pour dressing over chicken mixture. Toss to coat.
Cut a wedge in the top of the bread about 1 inch from the edges. Pull out some of the inside of the loaf to make room, leaving about a 3/4-inch shell. Layer in lettuce, chicken mixture, cheese and eggs. Let stand 20 minutes before slicing carefully with a long serrated knife, or wrap and chill up to two hours.